The mission of the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History is to honor and continue the work of Roger Tory Peterson to foster understanding, appreciation and protection of the natural world.
To accomplish its mission, RTPI will reach diverse audiences,
- By providing stimulating programs and exhibits for adults and children in its award-winning facility;
- By offering live and distance learning classes both at its local headquarters and through institutions of higher learning;
- By organizing, preserving and making broadly available the works and methods of Dr. Peterson;
- By creating and disseminating materials and methods to assist teachers and other professionals to introduce and explain the natural world to the general public; and
- By collaborating with like-minded partners to create and to support national research, competitions and awards in natural history.