The Otsego County Fair became an entity on January 26th, 1877, when the Department of State issued a Charter as requested by 24 residents of the area, incorporating the Butternut Valley Agricultural Society. The original Charter stated, "The business and particular object of the society shall be to promote the Mechanical, Agricultural, and Horticultural Arts and interests of the people and the said towns."
In 1882, the Charter was amended to read Butternut Valley Agricultural and Horticultural Society, and further amended in 1898 to become the Morris Fair Association until 1938 when it ceased operation for lack of funds. Following World War II in 1946, it was reorganized and in 1948 its name was finally changed to The Otsego County Fair Association.
Picture of the morris fairgrounds
Land to be used for a Fairgrounds was donated by the Franchets of Morris. This area stretched from the Main Gate to near the center of the present Grandstand within the present Village boundary. Some time later, the northern portion was added, thus enlarging the grounds to 25 acres. The area used for handicapped parking today was received from the Town of Morris by a quit claim deed in June of 1950.
The Otsego County Fair has grown substantially since its inception. The first exhibition, held from October 2-4 in 1877, had by all accounts strong attendance, but over the years has grown to an average attendance of over 30,000. The fair is managed by a Board of members, who are stockholders. To this day, we continue several traditions, including horse racing on opening day, on one of the finest county tracks in New York State. This year's Fair opens August 1.