The H. Lee White Marine Museum was founded in 1982, by Mrs. Rosemary Nesbitt under the auspices of the Port of Oswego Authority. Located in Oswego's Historic Maritime District, the main building, an original canal terminus, served as the offices and repair shop for the nearby grain elevator.
Today the Museum is growing and changing. Open all year long with new exhibits installed each year, it offers a variety of activities, programs and events for visitors and area residents of all ages.
In addition to maintaining a National Historic LandmarkWWII tug, LT-5, the Maritime Center also maintains a 1925 Canal Barge, New York State Derrick Boat 8, the first schooner built in Oswego in a century, the OMF Ontario, and the last remaining U.S. commercial fishing boat to work Lake Ontario, the Eleanor D.
Permanent exhibits and artwork, housed in the main building and along the pier, highlight the diverse range of maritime history surrounding the life of the Oswego Harbor.
Family, adult and youth programming, tours, outreach and an exceptional gift shop, the Treasure Chest, round out the many ways this institution strives to serve the community.