11.00 am Flute
Mozart’s The Magic Flute, a whimsical tale of love and wisdom with an original libretto from Emanuel Schikaneder, is directed by NJ Agwuna and conducted by Music Director Joseph Colaneri with costume design by Christelle Matou.
“The Magic Flute is a fairytale about finding your own way in the world,” Agwuna said. “This production will be explored through storytelling. We take a look at the classical ways of storytelling, through narration, imagination, and performative action. We are quite literally going from the page to the stage.
This story is important to tell in 2021 because we are so inundated with information and opinions influencing our own thoughts and morales. It is time for all of us to seek out our own paths and figure out who we want to be in this world.”
In this new storybook English adaptation by Kelley Rourke, Eric Owens stars in an expanded role of Sarastro, guiding audiences through the story with wisdom and wit.
Owens is well-known for his Wagner and Verdi interpretations and is connected to the company as Chair of the Artistic Advisory Board, and will serve a fourth term as Artist in Residence. In addition to working with Glimmerglass, Owens serves as Co-Director of the Vocal Studies Division and the Curtis Opera Theatre at the Curtis Institute of Music.
- Thursday, Jul 29, 2021 at 6:00pm
- Friday, Jul 30, 2021 at 11:00am
- Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 6:00pm
- Sunday, Aug 1, 2021 at 11:00am
- Monday, Aug 2, 2021 at 6:00pm
- Tuesday, Aug 3, 2021 at 11:00am
- Thursday, Aug 5, 2021 at 11:00am
- Friday, Aug 6, 2021 at 11:00am
- Saturday, Aug 7, 2021 at 11:00am
- Sunday, Aug 8, 2021 at 11:00am
- Monday, Aug 9, 2021 at 11:00am
- Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:00am
- Thursday, Aug 12, 2021 at 11:00am
- Friday, Aug 13, 2021 at 11:00am
- Saturday, Aug 14, 2021 at 11:00am
- Monday, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:00am
- Tuesday, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:00am